Start with broad keyword research
Broad keyword research is the process of identifying general keywords that are relevant to your business or industry. These keywords are typically broad in nature and have high search volume, but may also have high competition. The goal of broad keyword research is to identify the main topics and themes related to your business, and to use these keywords as a foundation for more specific keyword research.
Here are some best practices for conducting broad keyword research:
- Start with brainstorming: Begin by brainstorming a list of keywords that are relevant to your business or industry. This could include product or service names, industry-specific terms, and common phrases that customers might use when searching for your business.
- Use keyword research tools: Utilize keyword research tools such as Google Keyword Planner, Ahrefs, and SEMrush to identify popular keywords related to your business. These tools can provide valuable insights into search volume, competition, and related keywords.
- Look at your competitors: Analyze your competitors’ websites to see what keywords they are targeting. This can give you an idea of what keywords are working well in your industry, and can also help you identify potential gaps in your own keyword strategy.
- Analyze your own website: Take a look at your own website and see what keywords you are currently targeting. Identify which keywords are driving the most traffic to your site, and which ones are not performing as well.
- Use Google Autocomplete: Utilize Google Autocomplete to see what keywords people are searching for when they start typing a particular query. This can give you an idea of what keywords are popular and relevant to your business.
By following these best practices, you can effectively conduct broad keyword research and identify the main topics and themes related to your business. This information can then be used to inform your more specific keyword research and help you to optimize your website for search engines. Additionally, by keeping track of your competitors and monitoring your own website’s performance, you can continuously improve your broad keyword research strategy.